I missed Thankful Tuesdays this week because my dog ate my brain.
If I had a dog.
Anyway, I’m celebrating a birthday (um, mine) and I thought I’d trot out everything I’m thankful for that happened in the past year of my life. I apologize in advance if this kind of thing makes you sick or bores you — you don’t actually have to read it you know.
1. My son was born. Every day he enriches my life, and makes me a better person. I don’t blog about him very often. And it’s not because he doesn’t do amazing things, or appear to me to be the cutest, smartest, funniest child ever created on earth. Of course I do. It’s just that, for now, I still want to keep him a bit to myself. I’m selfish that way.
2. I started blogging again this year. I’m thankful to all my newly-minted bloggy buddies and tweeps. What a welcoming group of people, and what a wonderful community to have as I embark on my writing adventures.
3. M and I had our three year wedding anniversary. M is my lifeline. I could live without him if I absolutely had to, I am a survivor. But I would never choose to do so. M helps me believe in my own beauty, in my own intelligence. Also, he’s fantastic with the dishes.
4. My parents have moved cross-country and are now close enough that I don’t have to take 3 plane rides and a couple thousand dollars to visit them.
5. I am employed. OK, that isn’t new for this year, I’ve been with this company 10 years now. However, in this climate, I think it’s appropriate to be aware and grateful for having a job.
6. I am grateful for the fact that I didn’t just accidentally take a sip of something growing in the cup sitting in front of me on my desk. See, there’s this cup, I thought it was empty. I’ve been meaning to take it downstairs to the kitchen for at least a week, but I’m a forgetful slob. Today I’m using another cup for my water, and it looks quite a bit like the other cup on my desk. As I was on the phone just now concentrating on helping a co-worker solve a problem, I picked up my cup to take a drink. Normally I drink absentmindedly without looking into my cup. I mean, really, why look into your cup? You know what’s there don’t you, you should, you put it in there. But this time for whatever reason (an angel on my shoulder???) I looked in the split-second right before I put cup to lip AND OHMYGOD that cup was NOT empty. My heart is still racing… “what if”s are plaguing me. Shivers of revulsion still shake me. Reverse peristalsis threatens. The offending look-alike cup has now been moved outside my office to the landing at the top of the stairs where I will forget about it for at least another week. (I don’t have any past posts that really fit this one. So instead, you can read this, my first blog post ever.)
I am grateful for a ton of other things, but they aren’t really new to this past year, and hey – I have to keep something so that I have stuff to write about come next Thankful Tuesday.
P.S.: Please have a look at the charity event I’m hosting in December, Twitter Literature 2011. If you sign up, I promise you will live forever and everything you touch will turn to gold. In my dreams.